Sunday, February 20, 2011

Love Cures

Everyone should read this link. Seriously. Right now.


I have tried so many ways to cure myself of this disease that I now have a new problem. I basically blurt out all of my faults as soon as you meet me. I keep all of my messes, physical and mental, out in the open. Awkward much? I think so.

I know I will always struggle with this a little bit, but I have finally found my solution. Dan's solution is to "Be real." Mine encompasses that, but it's a little different. Love. As in the verb.

Love others by accepting their imperfections. Love them by being honest with them. Love them by not judging them or holding them to impossible standards. Love them by allowing their mistakes... by sharing your mistakes. Love them by taking a stand against their hurtful actions to themselves, to you, and to others. Love them by serving them. Love the hell out of them.

Loving others will heal you.

Then, there is the much harder part. Love yourself. Love yourself by treating yourself with respect. Love yourself by letting yourself look at your past mistakes ONLY to make future goals. Love yourself by realizing your unique talents and strengths. Love yourself by not comparing yourself to anyone else. Love yourself by allowing yourself to feel Christ's love for you daily. Love yourself by letting go of that running list of imperfections in your head and starting a new list of accomplishments. Love yourself by allowing yourself to dream big, but not allowing yourself to live in dreams alone. Love yourself by not letting those thoughts of worthlessness occupy space in your head and never letting them come out of your mouth.

I tell my students that I expect their personal best every single day. Let's face it people; our personal best is not perfect. It can't be. It's a fact. We all know that. Consider making a change in the way you think about it, though. Instead of expecting failure, expect your personal best. Forgive yourself for your imperfections and forgive others for theirs. Love the disease of perfection into remission.

2 comments:

Jim and Brooke said...

You are so great! Those words are so beautiful, and so are you!
I love you!

Angela said...

This is great and very encouraging words that everyone needs to hear.