Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 1 In Pictures


6:45 A.M.- Mom making a list of all of my medications for the nurses.



7:00 A.M- My I.D. bracelet I have to keep on all week. I didn't think I was going to have to wear one because I'm being treated out-patient. It's something about wanting to play it safe and not give me the wrong medicine. Way to go Banner Baywood.


7:40 A.M.- I got back to the open transfusion room and my blood pressure was a little high. 134/89. Not normal for me. I'm a 108/69 kind of girl. I might have been a little nervous.





7:55 A.M.- My awesome nurse trying to find a vein that she could leave the IV in for all 3 days. She tried hard, as my face can attest, but she ended up having to use my right arm, right in the crook of my arm. That one was painless. Bad news: I have to get stuck everyday. Good news: I get to go swimming!




8:05 A.M.- Getting all zen with my ipod and relaxing. I was wishing the solu-medrol a speedy and fruitful journey. I believe I was wishing that airplanes in the night sky were like shooting stars. I really needed a wish right then.


8:45 A.M- Me and my mommy! The infusion ended at 9:10 A.M. It was an open infusion room and I was surrounded by men in their 80's. They were really funny. I couldn't hear them, but between them and the nurses, they kept my mom laughing.



10:00 A.M.- The Kelle Room! It's so pretty! I got pretty comfy. I might not ever leave.






All day- I was entertained and cuddled with to my hearts content. I had mentioned wanting broccoli and Pam made me the best chicken pot pie in the entire world filled with broccoli. It was delicious!






Twice I got really hot, very tired, my head starting hurting, and I got dizzy. Each time it lasted about an hour and I basically slept through it with the aid of back and head massages. My blood sugar was in the mid 200's all day. They warned me about that, but I was still really bummed because I didn't even eat anything fun. : ( Will finally caved to my begging and bought me candy. Pam and Mark let me have 5 recess pieces when my blood sugar dropped down to 199. Hee hee. I savored every single one of them.
The transfusion was not as long or as bad as I thought it would be. I did not get sick like I thought I would. My symptoms have not gone away yet (the nurse said sometimes they do on the first day), but my doctor said it could take 6-7 days. Pam is taking me tomorrow! I'm going to try to be a little more active tomorrow. Maybe even stroll around the mall. I'm not allowed to be in the heat and I was instructed not even to power walk. It's actually kind of funny. I can get in the pool at night though! I had a bad metallic taste in my mouth during the infusion and it lasted for about 3 hours after. I also got mild short-lived heartburn from eating a hot dog and again with chicken. Luckily I had researched it and was prepared for those side effects. 5 zillion people text, messaged, called, and emailed me today. Thank you all. It's kind of overwhelming to realize how many people really love you. I have always been a huge avoider of direct attention, but it has been really life-affirming and strengthening to hear all of the well-wishes and know that so many people are praying on my behalf. Day 1 down. Bring on Day 2!

No comments: