Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Clean Sheets Lead to Spiritual Enlightenment


Clean sheets are one of the best things in the world. There is nothing like climbing into soft, fragrant, crisp, silky sheets at the end of a long day. I would describe the experience as blissful. You would think, since I'm so fond of clean sheets, I would change my sheets more than every other week. I don't because it's hard work! I have to strip the bed, wash the mattress pad and comforter, dry the mattress pad and comforter, put the mattress pad on, then the fitted sheet, then tuck the top sheet in just right, then I put my down blanket on, then my comforter, then I have to put both pillows back in the freshly laundered shams, the regular pillows in the new sheets, make sure the bed skirt is hanging nicely, and place the decorative pillows just right. I pretty much need a nap when I'm done.

Today I feel that wonderful clean sheet feeling magnified 100 times. I am just feeling nice and clean in all areas of my life.

  • Clean home- I'm lucky to have such a nice clean roommate. She pretty much never complains about my crazy OCD'ness. She does all of the chores I hate (taking the trash out and emptying the dishwasher) all the time before I even realize they need to be done. She even respects my weird, set-in-my-way, eccentric habits (no dishes on the right side of the sink, dish soap under the sink, comfy blankets folded up and put in their spot... basically, a place for everything and everything in it's place!). In exchange, I always clean the downstairs bathroom (she hates cleaning bathrooms) and I try to keep my OCD'ness in check. Today she got up and cleaned the kitchen. I cleaned the living/dining room and the bathroom. Our house smells so good and clean. It always amazes me what a difference it makes when the couch if vacuumed. I love feeling so good in my home. It makes me so relaxed and comfortable in my own skin when everything is in order in my home. Amanda rocks at helping it stay that way all of the time.
  • Clean bedroom and bathroom- Since I am the only one who ever sees my bedroom and bathroom, they do not stay quite as clean as the rest of our house. I have a really bad habit about using half of my bed as a closet. I am totally a "my side of the bed" sleeper whether anyone is in my bed or not. The other half is just empty all of the time, so it doesn't bother me at all to have my clean laundry piled over there. Did I mention I hate putting my laundry away? I was on such a role today that I folded and hung all of my laundry, organized my closet, and found a place for my new Christmas stuff. Bonus: I get to walk around with my huge, good headphones, ipod tucked into my sports bra, listening to really loud music. Double bonus: I did so much cleaning I didn't have to go to the gym today!
  • Clean Mind- Anyone who knows me well knows I can't have hidden messes. You can open any closet or drawer in my house or classroom and it will sing the hallelujah chorus. If there is anything disorganized or messy, it will be right out on the table, counter, couch, or desk. I really don't know why I'm like that, but it makes me manic to have a mess somewhere that I can't keep an eye on. It makes my ADD go into hyper drive. I can't seem to concentrate on anything. When everything is put in it's place, I am calmer, relaxed, and my thoughts are clearer. Weird, huh? When my head is clear, my destructive thoughts turn into productive thoughts. I become a service oriented person.
  • Clean Hands- Everyone knows that idle hands are the devil's playground. :-) Seriously though, knowing I have been productive has a snowball effect. I turn into a goal-orientated person and before I know it, I've gotten things done I've been meaning to do for months. It gives me a sense of accomplishment that reminds me of my worth and in turn reinforces my understanding of things that are not worthy of my time or energy.
  • Clean Heart/Soul/Life- Cleanliness leads to order, which leads to clear thoughts, which leads to productive actions, which lead to true happiness. I have been working on cleaning my home, thoughts, and actions for awhile now. I feel like it's all kind of come together on this day I have off to remember the inspired vision of MLK. I am starting to have a vision of my life and the things I could accomplish/people I can serve with it. Now comes the hard part... believing I can and following through.
I had no idea when I woke up this morning with a yearning for clean sheets that it would turn into this "If You Give a Mouse A Cookie..." kind of experience. Life... the roller-coaster goes on.

2 comments:

Dustin and Katie Lowe said...

I just have to say I love you. That's all. :)

Anonymous said...

Kelle- You are the best. End of story. I try to do my part! You're so right...light cleaning weekly is way way way better than like once a month DEEP DEEP cleaning. (bleh) Our house looks so nice. :)