Tuesday, January 4, 2011

If you've ever wondered why I love to teach...

Two conversations that happened today at school.

1) A former student- 12 year old boy walks in to my classroom.

Me: "Hey Jami! How was your Christmas Break?"

Jami: "It was good. I got an ipod touch. Um..." *Awkward shuffle* "I'm not trying to be nice..." *baffled shrug* "but you look like you're losing a lot of weight." *Quizical look*

Me: *Beaming smile* "Awww! That was pretty nice for not wanting to be nice"

Jami: *Flustered and making his way to the door* "Well. I mean I'm not just saying that to be nice." *Turns to flee*

Me: *Chases him to the door* "Thanks Jami! That's why I love you!" Shouted down the hall after the retreating figure*

Priceless!

2) Former student- 13 year old girl knocks on my classroom door a little after 4 pm.

Me: "Alyssa! Hey! How are you? How was your break?" *Hugging ensues*

Alyssa: "It was good. I got a new phone, but I can't show you because I left it in the car."

Me: "Awesome! Are you just stopping by to say hi on your way home from school?" (She goes to Jr. High now.)

Alyssa: "Yeah. I begged my mom to let me stop here, to see you, when she picked me up from school."

Me: "Sweet. Did she drop you off?"

Alyssa: "Yeah. Well... Kinda... She's brought me here, but she's outside in the car."

Me: "She's sitting outside...? Waiting in the car...?"

Alyssa: "Yeah. She said I have 5 minutes to talk to you, then I have to go. It's my reward because I've been doing good in school."

I'm not kidding. Both of those things happened on my first day back for the second quarter. Don't lie. You wish you were a teacher.

1 comment:

Jim and Brooke said...

Such sweet moments!
It shows what a great teacher you are! A good teacher loves their students, and in return, they will love you!
P.S. I love you too!